Coalition of Oak Ridge Retired Employees
Minutes of Board Meeting on January 15, 2014, 2:00 p.m.
Oak Ridge Senior Center
Present: Mike Bradshaw, Shirley Cates, Steve Cates, Charlene Edwards, Bob Hightower, Judy Kibbe, Charlie Kuykendall, Dave Mason, Joe McGrory, Ken Moore, Dwight Morrow, Pete Peterson, Dave Reichle, Jim Rogers, Mary Helen Rose, Dub Shults, Steve Stow, Ross Toedte, Mary Jane White, Dave Whitehead, Bob Worrell.
Absent: Garry Whitley, Mike Willard.
1. Call to Order. President Dave Mason called the meeting to order at 2:00 p.m. In view of the fact that we had six new Directors, Dave asked everyone around the table to state their name, the year they retired, and from which site.
2. Approval of Minutes. Minutes of the December 18 Board meeting were approved as written.
3. Treasurer’s Report. Mary Helen Rose highlighted the report, copies of which had been distributed. There were no new Contributing Members in December. The balance on hand at end of December was $24,492.33, with 3,559 Contributing Members. Mary Helen stated that she today gave the financial records to Ken Moore for the annual audit.
4. Goals and Objectives. Charlene Edwards led a brainstorming session. She received several suggestions, which she will list and send to Board members to have them rated as to priority.
5. Appointment of Nominating Committee. Dave Mason announced the appointment of a committee (see Attachment 1).
6. New Secretary and Treasurer. Mason expressed regret that Mary Helen Rose has decided to retire from the Board by July 1, after serving from CORRE’s beginning about 13 years ago. He suggested Steve Stow as Secretary and Mary Jane White as Treasurer, and stated that he has obtained agreement from both. A motion by Mike Bradhaw, Chair of the Nominating Committee, passed to approve appointment of Steve Stow as Secretary and Mary Jane White as Treasurer, effective July 1, 2014.
7. Other Committee Assignments. Dave Mason distributed copies of a list of 2014 Assignments (see Attachment 1). Mason asked Board members to let him know if they would prefer different assignments.
8. Other Business.
a. Website. Dub Shults reported that he talked this morning to John Houtari, who said he will put the new website in operation this afternoon. A meeting was scheduled for 1:30 Friday afternoon at Panera’s for Houtari to brief Charlene Edwards, Shults, and Dave Mason on the new site.
b. Miscellaneous. Shults reported that he got a reply from Senator Corker to our letter, stating that he will keep our views in mind. The letter that Shults sent to the Knoxville News Sentinel several days ago has not appeared in the paper as yet. Regrettably, The Oak Ridge Observer, published by Stan Mitchell for the past nine years, closed shop at end of December.
c. Board Meeting Time. After polling Board members for their preference, Dave Mason announced that our monthly Board meetings will now be held at 10:00 a.m. on third Wednesdays (rather than 2:00 p.m.) Some members had requested a change, and it was determined that this was the only other time slot available at the Senior Center.
9. Adjournment. The meeting adjourned at 2:45 p.m.
Mary Helen Rose, CORRE Secretary