Coalition of Oak Ridge Retired Employees
Minutes of Board Meeting on July 16, 2014, 10:00 a.m.
Oak Ridge Senior Center
Present: Cates (Steve), Mason, Moore, Morrow, Reichle, Rogers, Setaro, Shults, Stow, White, Whitehead, Worrell, Whitley, Willard, Luther Gibson (guest).
Absent: Bradshaw, Cates (Shirley), Hightower, Kibbe, McGrory, Napier, Peterson, Toedte.
1. Call to Order. President Dave Mason called the meeting to order at 10:01 a.m.
2. Approval of Minutes. Approval of Minutes from June 21 meeting. A motion was made, seconded, and passed to approve the minutes, as distributed.
3. Treasurer’s Report. White presented the report, which was approved by unanimous vote. Cash on hand totals $23,930.00 at the end of June with 3569 contributing members (two new members during the month). There are three CDs and a money-market certificate The Board agreed to renewal of the CDs at prevailing rates as they mature.
4. Contractor Contacts.
a. URS/CH2M Oak Ridge LLC (UCOR) (Pete Peterson/Dwight Morrow). Morrow noted that a visit with UCOR management should be scheduled and there was brief discussion of a newspaper article on the TVA pension plan.
b. National Strategic Protective Services (NSPS) (Mike Bradshaw/Jim Rogers). Rogers noted the need for another quarterly visit with new NSPS management, Mike Voce.
c. Y-12 (Bob Worrell/Ken Moore). Discussion centered on the RFP, recently prepared for Y-12 benefits packages, noting that the RFP has not yet been made available and on the possibility of merging the Y-12 and Pantex benefits packages (unclear if this would happen). There was also discussion of the applicability of 4/10 and 9/80 work schedules for salaried staff. A need for CORRE to meet with new Y-12 management (Haynes) was again noted.
d. ORNL (Dub Shults/Mike Willard). Shults noted a pending CORRE meeting with ORNL management.
5. Committee Reports.
a. Communications (Judy Kibbe). No report.
b. Website (Dub Shults/Ross Toedte). Shults reported that updates to the website have been made and are pending approval by Mason. Board meeting minutes are to be sent to Toedte for posting.
c. Planning (Garry Whitley). Planning. There was extensive discussion of the two primary planning objectives established earlier by CORRE: the spousal option alternative and obtaining an influential mentor who can advise on avenues for initiating preferred actions. With regard to the spousal option, various avenues were discussed (talking with contractors [i.e., ORNL, Y-12], talking to DOE, and talking to Congressional Offices [i.e., Fleishman, others]. It was felt that ORNL (and possibly Y-12) was seen as a primary contact and possible supporter of CORRE’s objectives. ORNL should be asked to calculate (“run the numbers”) to see if inclusion of the option could be realized with essentially no added cost to the overhead rate, as was felt by knowledgeable Board members be the case. At the same time, Fleishman’s office should be kept informed of the feasibility of spousal option inclusion and Haynes (Y-12) should be brought up to date to seek his support. A suggestion was made that CORRE inquire of Fleishman’s office the results of his meeting with “the Secretary” (Energy). It was noted that the financial commitment of the spousal option decreases yearly.
The mentor issue was briefly discussed, but no position was taken. The use of a “lobbyist” who might offer pro bono services was mentioned, as well as the concept of combining efforts with other contractors. However it was felt that “other contractors” (non-Oak Ridge) would not have the same benefit issues with which Oak Ridge is faced.
d. Health Insurance Issues (Steve Cates). No report.
e. Nominations (Mike Bradshaw). No report.
f. Annual Meeting Planning (Steve Cates). No report.
g. Bylaws Review (Joe McGrory). No report.
6. Other Business. It was noted that Kibbe has “tapes” (CDs) prepared some years ago for CORRE public relations and recruitment purposes; these are now out-dated and not of use. The CDs should be made available to any Board member who wants one and one should be sent to historian Ray Smith at Y-12.
7. Adjournment. Mason adjourned meeting at 11:05.
Steve Stow, CORRE Secretary