Coalition of Oak Ridge Retired Employees
Minutes of Board Meeting on March 18, 2015, 10:00 a.m., Oak Ridge Senior Center
Present: Kibbe, White, Hightower, Emery, Setaro, Worrell, Morrow, Whitley, Moore, Rogers, Rupert, McGrory, Whitehead, Cates, Reichle, Mason, Angelelli (Joy)
Guests: Mel Schuster, Luther Gibson, and Bob Sadlowe
Absent: Peterson, Stow, Bradshaw, Toedte, Angelelli (Tony)
1. Approval of January 2015 Minutes. A motion was made and seconded to approve the minutes from the January meeting. The minutes were approved.
2. Treasurer’s Report. White reported that CORRE has $22,864.72 at the end of January 2015 with $1337.37 in checking. The report for the month was distributed. The motion to accept the Treasurer’s Report was made and seconded. There was no discussion; the Treasurer’s Report was accepted. There was a discussion of what number of contributing members should be used. It was concluded that 3604 is the number we will use.
3. Audit Report. Board member and CORRE auditor Ken Moore presented the Audit Report for August 2002 through December 2014. The written report was distributed to the board members. In the opinion of the auditor, the financial records represent fairly the financial position of CORRE as of December 31, 2014. In addition he provided a copy of the Summary of Income and Expenses for CY 2005 through 2014. He noted on that summary that the expense for mailing for the 2014 Annual Meeting was $901.88. The motion was made and seconded to accept the Audit Report. The motion passed.
4. Contractor Contacts.
UCOR: No report.
NSPS: No Report.
ORNL: Mike Emery reported that pre-65 healthcare premiums are up. Different plans were presented. It appears that ExtendHealth has moved some prescription drugs to higher levels.
Y-12: Medical plans at Y-12 were discussed at length. Because the union contract is up June 21, there may be a better deal in the works than the salaried have. Salaried employees could be moved to a better union-type plan.
5. Committee Reports..
Dave Whitehead reported that the planning committee met on February 4th at the union hall. There will be a survey of Y-12 retirees like the one conducted at ORNL. Suggestion was made to perform the survey before the union contract is up on June 21or to wait until after June 21. Apparently CNS has a real problem, and they will set up a work group to address the problems. So CORRE should wait to do the survey. Whitehead provided a copy of the results of the Planning Committee meeting.
6. Other business.
CNS: Bob Worrell commented that the meeting with CNS would be re-scheduled. There is a list of 5 items to discuss with them.
– Update on CNS efforts to reach Y-12 retirees not contacted regarding the new medical plans starting in January 2015.
– Work with CNS management so that approximately 1200 Y-12 retirees not participating in the old Y-12 insurance can participate in the new Y-12 retiree health coverage.
– Work with CNS management to assist those current retirees who will be impacted by the “Donut Hole.”
– Discuss several Ben-Val issues. (1) Request health care ranking for post-65 retirees before and after the latest Ben-Val process; (2) request a list of Ben-Val companies used for benefits comparison in the latest process; and (3) explore if retiree benefits can be eliminated from Ben-Val inclusion.
– Explore possibility of CORRE participating in working groups established by CNS to review current plans for adjustments and improvements.
Moniz letter: There was no response from Senators Alexander and Corker relative to the draft letter to Dr. Moniz, Secretary of the Department of Energy. The decision was made not to re-send the letter to them in the hopes that they would send it on to Dr. Moniz over their signature. Pursuant to that, there will be a letter to the editor detailing the results of CORRE’s requests to have the letter forwarded to DOE.
7. Adjournment. President Hightower adjourned the meeting at 11:20 am.